Thursday, March 26, 2009

To Trim, To Bite, To Brim

Okay here is the story. I am very proud of my finger nails. I normally do not feel this way, but the last few weeks I do. Why? Because usually I will use my teeth to "manicure" my nails.

Now by manicure I do not mean metro-sexually polish, file, paint ect. I mean I take care of them. I upkeep them. A guy a work with--Buys--disagreed with me tonight about the definition of "manicuring." Buys is a warrior among men. I will liken him to a soldier from 300, only with a dislocated collar bone (which causes him no pain I might add), a Virginian accent, a tattoo, and an incredible knack for sniffing out a car trying to nosedive into the valet lot. Basically the man, excuse me, warrior, is the Apollo Creed of our generation.

Naturally Buys thinks any word relating to a man that sounds remotely feminine is off limits to the tongue of our gender.

Nevertheless, I used the word manicure. I should have known better. We then spent the next 20 minutes looking on dictionary.com first defining "manicure," then defining "trim," and finally moving on to define "bite."

Buys thought people who "manicure" their nails without the use of finger nail clippers in fact "bite" their nails. I disagreed.

I viewed biting as a form of chomping with no other purpose other than to appease an oral fixation. Biting in my mind had no purpose. For example, a person does not bite their food. No, their purpose is to nourish their body and so they "chew" their food. If this is true I also do not "chew" my nail as I would food.

Instead I suggested that I "trim" my nails. By saying I trim my nails I tactfully define manicure and I avoid having to admit that I bite my nails.

Upon looking up these words however we came to find that I in fact used to bite and trim my nails.

So what then was our response?
...
...
...
"BRIM."

1 comment:

  1. Manicure has the word "man" in it so I'm all for it.

    ReplyDelete