Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Holy Sonnet # 14

In my English class we are reading through the poetry of John Donne. He was born in 1572 and died in March of 1631. Despite his great education and poetic talents he lived in poverty for several years, relying heavily on wealthy friends. He grew up Catholic but later converted to Anglican.

Many of his early poems were erotic in nature dealing with very unconventional metaphors. However, in his later years his poetry began to transition to taking a more Christ-centered theme. In 1615 he became an Anglican priest and, in 1621, was appointed the Dean of St. Paul's Cathedral in London.

Of the many poems we are reading this is one of my favorites.

John Donne's Holy Sonnets #14

Batter my heart, three-personed God; for you


As yet but knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend;

That I may rise and stand, o'er throw me, and bend

Your force to break, blow, burn and make me new,

I, like an usurped town, to another due,

Labor to admit you, but O, to no end;

Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,

But is captive, and proves weak or untrue.

Yet dearly I love you, and would be loved fain,

But am betrothed into your enemy,

Divorce me, untie or break that knot again;

Take me to you, imprison me, for I,

Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,

Nor chaste, except you ravish me.

No comments:

Post a Comment